Saturday, February 25, 2006

Three Burials and a Poster

My husband and I recently attended an advance screening of Tommy Lee Jones' newest movie The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. It's a contemporary movie about a man's commitment to bury his murdered friend in his Mexican hometown, and about the redemption of the idiot who killed him.

In a word: fantastic. If it's in your town, run, don't walk, and go see this film. (Unless the theater isn't within running distance and then you'll have to drive at a safe speed so as not to get a ticket.)

Actor Julio Cesar Cedillo (the title character, i.e. the dead guy) attended the screening and was gracious and kind in answering questions.

What's Tommy like? (Generous and ornery.)

How'd you get the role? (Auditioned, was the first and only person seen. Tommy said, "It's great to see the character come to life." and hired him on the spot.)

What was it like to see yourself decaying on film? (He felt sorry for the three dummies, crew called him the fourth dummy. When he saw one doll slumped over in a chair on the set, he straightened him upright. So he could breathe, perhaps? Ew.)

Anyway, the best part, other than the amazing movie and the brush with fame:

I won a poster!

Actually, my husband did. They did a silly trivia game for prizes, and I leaned over to my husband and whispered, a la Holly Hunter in Raising Arizona, "I want you to get me one of them posters, Kern."

So my man stood up, and shouted out an answer in front of the packed audience. Of course, in the heat of the moment it was the, ahem, wrong answer. Still, Julio felt sorry for our desperateness and gave us one anyway.

He signed it and it reads: "To Kern & Britta, Si Empre Amigos!" Which I'm told means "Friends Always."

Us, too, Julio. Us, too.

11 Comments:

Blogger Desperate Writer said...

I can't wait to see this film. I'm a Tommy Lee Jones fan, even if he was Al Gore's roomate in college.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

You'll love Tommy in this movie. It's one of his best performances ... one look on his face says it all.

Oh, and Dwight Yoakum as a small-town officer is one of the funniest roles of the year. Kern couldn't quit laughing. I mean gut-deep kind of laughing that makes you shake in your seat.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Sounds like a great film too. I will look for it soon.

Just stoppin' by!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, Pat. You'll love it - it was all filmed on Tommy's ranch in Texas. Familiar turf, you know.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I would've never thought to see this, but I will now! Thanks for the rec! Also, I love your blog!

Jenny

8:59 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, Jenny! Yes, you should definitely catch the flick. I bet Jeff will love it too. Can't wait to check out your blog...what's the address again?

hint...hint...

11:41 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Britta,

Can't wait to see this movie. Great seeing you this week. Watched Walk the Line last night. Great, but won't win. Going to see Capote today.

Let me know if you need any book reviews or recs. Bye for now. Catherine

6:40 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

love the blog. Can't find a picture that does me justice. Love you. Catherine

6:41 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

Great movie. The best I've seen in a long time. I would like to clarify my mistake in the trivia contest. The question was: "Name a city in Texas where filming took place." Correct answers include : Odessa, Lajitas, Redford, Marathon, Terlingua, et al. My answer was Van Horn. Although Julio did not mention Van Horn, in the movie,the banner in the Cafe said "Van Horn Lions Club." I was hoping to dazzle him (and Britta) with my keen observation. He was no doubt dazzled, I got the poster.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Joel Muro said...

I am planning to see it this weekend. I loved your story, though--and what a cool guy!

Hear the music was great in it too..

10:29 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Joel, did you catch the film yet? What did you think?

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home