Monday, March 27, 2006

The Best Part

As a Southern, church-going gal, one of my favorite parts of a service is when the minister says a blessing over the congregation. It's usually something short, like a prayer, and it makes me feel like someone just baked me a pie or sang me a love song or sprinkled angel sparkles on me or challenged me to a marathon. Special, you know?

Anyway, I came across this recently, and thought I'd share it with you, O readers of the blog.


A Franciscan Blessing

May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain into joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done.

Amen.

Consider yourself sparkled.

3 Comments:

Blogger Desperate Writer said...

I FEEL sparkled. :) That was a sweet blessing, thanks for sharing!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

You're welcome, DW!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Madison Lewis said...

I absolutely love this! What a great blessing! I am going to share this with the staff at my church. Thank you for sharing!!

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home