Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Dresses, the Upset, the Jokes, oh my!

Watched the Oscars this year...here's what I loved:

1) Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin riffing like old school magic. I wondered if some of the younger actors in the audience weren't thinking, "So THIS is what a star can do!" Plus, how gorgeous was Meryl? She wins my best dressed for working it so elegantly, with a class that makes you remember why she's simply the best. Ever.

2) Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter showing up looking like they'd stepped off a movie set or a retro eighties party. You could tell they were having a fabulous time and didn't care two hoots for the fashion police. Their ensembles fairly shouted, "Arrest me already. I'm satisfied. I'm brilliant."

3) Uma glowed, Jessica Alba shined - and I hope someone will give her a role soon that goes beyond that otherworldly complexion of hers. I liked J Lo's avocado and Keira's plum, but the jury's still out on Michelle Williams in butternut.


4) Dolly Parton strutting, sashaying, and literally busting out all over Hollywood's glitteratti. Love the song, love the message even more.

5) The smarmy campaign smear ads. A great way to inject some funny into the less visible categories.

6) Jon Stewart as host. Yes, he was a bit stiff at the beginning, but when he loosened up he made for an engaging and truly funny front man for one of the best Oscar shows in years.

7) Jennifer Garner saving a slippery moment with a bon mot: "I do my own stunts." I. Love. Her.

8) All the tributes to the mommies. Any thank you that includes a parental nod is a winner in my book.

9) The chaos the Crash victory created. A truly great surprise - the audible gasp from arguably jaded attendees capped a refreshing night full of excellent films and memorable performances.

Now, your turn. What did you like, what did you hate, and, most importantly, if you could wear anyone's outfit, whose would you pick?

7 Comments:

Blogger Kern said...

Best dressed lady was Hillary Swank, and best man was Terrence Howard. Bow ties remind me of black and white kindergarten photos of boys with buzz cuts, bad prom pictures, and Morey Price. Worst dressed was Phillip Hoffman, and Reese. (She looked like a Foley's Christmas tree. She is much cuter than that dress.) The funniest part was the montage of gay cowboys, I especially laughed at the Dukes 'spread eagle' comment. Crash was the best picture nominated, but not as good as Cinderella Man, or Three Burials. (Don't even get me started on 'Guess Who'.)Dwight Yoakum's role in TBOME was the best supporting role perfomance EVER. I am lukewarm on Jon Stewart, certainly better than Chris Rock. I miss Steve Martin. Lily and Meryl went on way too long, and Will Ferrell was given a tough script.

I saw Pride and Prejudice last night, LOVED IT xoxo. Elizabeth is way too good for that #$% Mr. Darcy.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Amen on Terrence Howard. Smooth, baby. (Although every time I see him I want him to have that Hustle accent.) You need to see Hustle & Flow...it's worth it for the opening conversation alone.

How can you not love Mr. Darcy? He's simply misunderstood - did you SEE the flexed hand? The charging across the meadow?

Thanks for the sincere effort, though. I know how much you enjoy subdued period pieces.

3:02 PM  
Blogger dee said...

I have to confess I don't watch the oscars anymore....but now I feel like I missed something....I also hear I missed a great weekend....

4:56 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

I stopped watching for a while, too. This year I tried to take in more movies - saturating myself in great stories, like reading great books.

We missed you this weekend - hope you're all rested up!

5:00 AM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

I wasn't going to watch them, but I did, and I'm glad. They were the most glamourous in a long time, and most people kept it about the movies and classy. Jon Stewart did a fantastic job. I loved Selma Hayak's dress...I don't think it would have looked as good on anyone else. I have t agree with you on most of your opinions on the event!

6:14 AM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

Oh, and p.s. KERN--

I LOVED Reese's dress. :)

9:48 AM  
Blogger Shannon Canard said...

Is it just me, or is Jon Stewart strangely sexy? I dunno, I love his goofy straight man routine AND his political bent.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home