Thursday, March 30, 2006

Penguins and My Doorbell

I'm a freak about music, and when I find tunes I love I tend to be evangelistic about it. Case in point: I went to a girlfriends' weekend at the lake and took my two latest favorite CDs with me and made everyone listen. Well, not made. I just turned up the volume while we ate breakfast and my chicas asked, "What's that?"

Well, since you asked, let me go ahead and tell you.

Matisyahu. Hassidic Jew, hip-hop reggae king. The music flows in all the right ways, and his lyrics made me cry the first time I heard (understood) them. My friend Candy Havens (Charmed & Dangerous) introduced Matisyahu to me, and I'm eternally grateful. Thanks, Candy!



KT Tunstall. Part Sheryl Crow, part Norah Jones, with an original bluesy sound all her own. If you ever see her do the Black Horse and Cherry Tree song live, you'll do what I did: run out and buy her CD immediately.



Other artists on my playlist:


The Little Willies. Norah and the gang going old school country. Yeehaw!

The White Stripes. The song My Doorbell is on near-nausea inducing volume and rotation levels in my automobile.

Lyle Lovett, Live in Texas. How can you not love someone who sings the line, "Penguins are so sensitive...to my needs."

Weezer. Okay, I'm a sucker for the dork-slash-rocker thing. And Beverly Hills is still a windows rolled down, totally driveable song. I don't care if it is pop. And while we're at it, I'll go ahead and admit: I like Kelly Clarkson.

All right, I've aired my music secrets. Embarrassing crushes, anyone?

8 Comments:

Blogger Desperate Writer said...

Embarassing crushes? Two words: Garth Brooks. Ah....So much I could say. I admire the success he's made, because it was a dream come true, he strove for it, and made it happen no matter what anyone said. And his songwriting is great, to me. Especially The Dance, The River, and Standing Outside the Fire.

I am also really into Big and Rich too. I was interested at first because John Rich is from Amarillo, but when I listened to their music, it made me smile, and really happy. And who couldn't use that? I like the song by Trace Adkins called Honkytonk Badonkadonk for the same reasons. FUN.

And I could listen to the soundtrack of Chocolat forever. A lot of other movie scores too.

And a little off beat for me? GARBAGE, and Alice Cooper. Weird, huh?

8:47 PM  
Blogger dee said...

I like Kelly Clarkson too...and the KT Tunstall video is great..its in a strong rotation on VH1 Country.....and as far as the ones I love....Nickleback tops the lot...okay ....so I was (and still am) a big hair, head banging, hard rocker chick at heart.....except for the big hair...

4:29 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

You've convinced me, Britta! I'm going to check out your suggestions. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I still love The Rolling Stones (I'm starting to think they're never going to go out of style--my kids love them, too. Also wondering if they might live forever. I think Keith Richards and cockroaches may be all that's left after a nuclear blast!) I also still love Crosby Stills and Nash. A lot. I'll never forsake them, but maybe it's time I added a few newbies to my CD collection.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

I don't have an ipod, but guess what? Mike Rogers moved from the afternoon team to the morning news team on KRLD. The question is... What happened to Alice Rios? Stay tuned for news, weather, markets and traffic.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

DW - Garth Brooks' first album was my first CD. Not just country CD, but CD in general.

Dates me, doesn't it?

I need to check out that Chocolat soundtrack. The Memoirs of a Geisha tracks are excellent as well.

And I love that you love Garbage and Alice Cooper. Way to be multi-influenced.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

While we're confessing big hair tendencies...I too like Nickelback. And I drove home from the gym this morning with the window down listening to Def Leppard's Pyromania.

And yes, I knew all the words.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

The Rolling Stones are way high on my all-time favorites list. I used to play the double-disc Hot Rocks all the time, but I upgraded (?) to Forty Licks a few years ago. I'm not sure which I think is better...

And Kern, I'm so sorry you don't have an ipod. Are you hoping to get one?

8:06 AM  
Blogger Beverly Bryant said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home