Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Brushes with Fame

I just returned from a holiday weekend in California to visit my sister's family - she of the seven adorable children (but that's another blog) - and I'm excited to report:
I flew on a plane with Johnny Knoxville.

The cooler thing to say, I suppose, would be, "Oh, Johnny Knoxville and I flew out to L.A. the other day for the weekend...", but my husband might have issues with that.

Here's the scoop.

Johnny sat in first class, looking entirely like himself. Faux messy hair, big aviators, shlumpy clothes. I nearly had apoplexy trying to get my family to look at him without appearing like gawkers.

We might have failed.

The whole plane was buzzing about it, and at luggage pick up, Johnny (see how we're on a first name basis? We're like, thisclose) was surrounded by fans, shaking hands, signing autographs. Not me, though. I figured the more sophisticated choice was to hang back and whisper madly with my little sister while we pretended not to stare.

My husband was thrilled when, in a show of true Knoxvilleism, Johnny sucker punched a nearby fan in the groin.

Talk about class.

Have you had any celebrity encounters? How'd you hold up under pressure?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kern said...

I bumped into Paris Hilton while in L.A. Almost. I was standing outside a very trendy shop that I'd never heard of with my kids, while Britta and her mom browsed through the $100 T shirts inside. Down the street, a group of people gathered, many of whom were taking pictures. About the time I decided to see what all the ruckus was about, and mosey on down there, the crowd dispersed. One guy with about six cameras came by, and like a true local, we asked. "Who was that?" Paris Hilton. The lesson is: When in Hollywood, mosey quick!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Nothing like an almost Paris sighting to make you mosey a little faster. One direction or the other, right?

6:54 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I once stepped out of a cab at a hotel in L.A. with my friends Ronda and Charlotte, and Brad Pitt was standing about six feet away waiting for his ride. (Probably not a cab, but a limo!) I elbowed Ronda and hissed "Look...LOOK!" I must have a really loud hiss because Brad turned, met my gaze...and smiled. Thump, thump. Be still my heart. I wish now I'd said "Hi, Brad!" Instead I gawked a second with a goofy grin on my face then ducked into the hotel.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Jenny, that's hysterical! I can totally see you and Ronda getting gawky on the streets of LA. Too funny.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home