Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Read This: Firefly Cloak by Sheri Reynolds

I love a book that you blaze through in one day and weep when it's over. Both because it's poignant, beautiful and true, and because the writing humbles you with its exquisiteness.

Firefly Cloak by Sheri Reynolds is such a book.

I've been a fan of Ms. Reynolds since her Oprah bout with Rapture of Canaan. She's one of my favorite authors, and her latest novel does not disappoint. Is it too embarrassing to admit that one of the reasons I became a writer is because of her work?

I play a little game with the novels on my must-read list. I don't read reviews or even back-page summaries. I simply open the book, start at page one, and let the story unfold without a hint of what's to come.

I highly recommend Firefly Cloak, and I recommend the method, which is why I won't reveal any secrets about the plot.

Just read it.

Who's on your must-read list? Do you have any quirky tics in the way you approach a book? (Please tell me you don't read the last page first - total sacrilege.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Desperate Writer said...

Must reads for me include anything by Debbie Macomber. I also love Linda Lael Miller, Jill Barnett, and anything my friends write. ;)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

What's it about? I used to not want to know either, then I went to see this movie called Brokeback Mountain. Now I read the inside flap, and reviews.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

HAH! Did you get a little surprise there, Kern? :)

9:30 AM  
Blogger ScottM said...

Britta, I apologize for sending you the synopsis and review on George and Sam. Now that you know ahead of time that the autistic boys fingerpaint with their own poo, the book is pretty much ruined. Everything else will be anticlimactic.

I am curious to know what mental disorder causes a person to read the last page first. The last page of my first book will be a listing of phone numbers where people who have this problem can call to get help.

9:49 AM  
Blogger dee said...

ohhhhh myyyyy kern.....I couldn't even get my husband to go see it at all....if you want a good 'guy' laugh, read my latest blog on the grill incident....I'm still laughing!!!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Great blog, Dee - too funny about the grill.

For other blog readers, make sure you check out Dee's humor at http://deeburks.blogspot.com/

11:35 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, DW - we all get by with a little help from our friends! :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger . said...

.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home