Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Friends With Money

I have a movie-going friend whose mother (another film freak) serves as sort of a barometer for us. She goes, she sees, she reviews.

And she's usually dead-on right. So, it was with great disappointment when my friend's mom called the new Jennifer Aniston flick - Friends With Money - degrading.


Ouch. 'Cause, um, I really wanted to see it. How could you not race to catch a movie with Catherine Keener, Joan Cusak and the fantastic Frances McDormand?

She had me at "I guess that was your accomplice in the woodchipper." [Fargo.]

We forged ahead and saw it anyway. What does it say about me that I didn't find it degrading at all? I liked it - enough to add it to my recommended movies for 2006.

Aniston plays a pot-smoking maid adrift after a disastrous last year of teaching rich kids. Her big money friends try to guide her to the next (more successful) stage, all while living their own screwed up lives. I found it more about marriage and choices than friendships, but I enjoyed it all the more for transcending stereotype. The dialogue crackles and each actor brings layers and texture to a truly ensemble piece.

What other movies are you loving right now? Have favorite go-to films? You know, the ones you own on DVD and watch again, and again, and again...

7 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

This one played here in Macon, GA for exactly one week at one theater, but I managed to see it and I'm glad I did .. I too thought it was a great ensemble effort with crackling dialogue

1:46 PM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

My over and over again movies are like good comfort food.

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
A CHRISTMAS STORY
THE WEDDING DATE
CHRISTMAS VACATION
DIARY OF A MAD BLACK WOMAN
PARENTHOOD
FATHER OF THE BRIDE I & II
ALL THE INDIANA JONES MOVIES
Anything JOHN WAYNE.

And soooo many more. :)

6:16 PM  
Blogger Kern said...

I don't know about "Friends With Money", but I DO know about "RV". Clearly the best movie of 2006. I can't imagine anything surpassing it. Robin Williams was under control and played a desperate man trying to connect with a family he loves dearly before it's too late. Any suspicions I ever had about owning an RV were verified from the problems with parking, community, and sewage. Cheryl Hines was great as well. Heartwarming and hysterical.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

We saw RV this week! You think that thing about taking a shorcut on the mountain was a joke? No...That was MY DAD. I SWEAR. Once we had to be airlifted out of a situation when we were kids. Mom was P*SSED.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Way to get to the theater in time, Reel! And hello from Texas...(waves in the general direction of GA)

12:12 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

DW, I'm laughing over the air lift. Please tell me you wrote a story about it.

And great picks on the comfort food movies...

I also love anything Jane Austen, Home for the Holidays, Good Will Hunting, Love Actually, The Big Chill and A Room With a View.

Haven't seen RV yet, but I hear from trusted sources that it's the best movie of 2006.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

No I haven't written a story about it yet. But it's safely tucked away for a future novel. :)

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home