Thursday, May 25, 2006

May Madness

Summertime in Texas starts in May, which happens to be my favorite month.

Here's what I've been up to:


Cultural stargazing. Saw "A Chorus Line" for the first time at the glorious Bass Hall in Fort Worth. Our seats were amazing...we could peep over into the orchestra and watch. I'd never seen the show before (I'm the last one, I know.) Who knew musicals could be so...introspective?


Reading. (Of course.) John Burdett's Bangkok 8 still hasn't left my consciousness. A mystery set in the mean streets of Thailand, it's a sensory soaked trip with one of the most horrifying murders set to page. The end offers up a nightmarish twist you won't forget. As Owen Meany would say, it gives me the SHIVERS!

Writing. The creative process for book two (working title: Mulligan) is going well, and I'm learning more than I thought I ever would about tobacco, autism, the PGA tour and how to knit. I promise, when you read it, it all makes sense.

Being a birthday girl, for several days running. (Insert Anthony Michael Hall's "You say it's your birthday, bananananana") We had friends over and celebrated in grand style on the back patio, with twinkly lights overhead. My husband made grapefruit margaritas - sounds gross but they rock - and we chatted al fresco until the wee hours.

Background music - a great birthday gift from my tunally inclined friend (thanks, Joel!):


Rosanne Cash's new album Black Cadillac. Try it, you'll like it.



And then, possibly the most exciting, over-indulgent gift ever, from my mother. Two words: Manolo Blahniks. They're more beautiful than a pair of footwear has a right to be. But I promise to love, honor, and adore them. Sigh.


Questions o' the day:

Live musicals - seen any?
Birthdays - greatest gifts ever? And sentimental counts...

8 Comments:

Blogger dee said...

happy B day!!! And thanks for that 80s flash back to 16 candels....everytime I hear that song I picture those guys wearing the underwear on their heads.....

11:32 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

Ahh Showtunes. Love them. Of course, anybody familiar with Texas Tech theater productions in the late 80's will remember my performances in The King and I, and Oklahoma! I can still smell the greasepaint. I'll run through my lines again: In The King and I, "Run Elijah, Run!", and in Oklahoma!, "Roll him over, I think he's still breathing" and of course, the line that secured my place in thespian history, "Oh, you would?" Good times.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

We saw Phantom of the Opera at the Bass Auditorium in Austin! It was a birthday present for my husband, since he's a huge fan. It was AWESOME!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Joel Muro said...

Glad you liked that CD, Britta! I too am a Theater buff--I was the third guard in Austin College's Portrayal of Hamlet--"Yes, Sir." And to think I have no agent...

11:13 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks Dee!

Yes, the quote's from 16 Candles...a total classic.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

What a great present, DW. I've only seen the (recent) film version of Phantom. What did you think of it?

12:32 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Kern and Joel, I think you need to get together to practice your lines.

"Run, Elijah, run!"
"Yes, sir."

"Roll him over, I think he's still breathing."
"Yes, sir.

"Oh, you would?"
"Yes, sir."

You can mix and match as you like for hours worth of entertainment...

12:34 PM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

I thought the recent film version was the best one yet, the most faithful to the stage production. (We're kinda Phantom buffs.)Of course, with Andrew Lloyd Webber, working with Joel Schumacher, I guess it would be! I think though, all fans of theater should see this one live at least once.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home