Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Perspective

Today was a great day. Why? I hung out in Walgreens for thirty minutes and then waited in a healthy long line at the post office.

Sure it doesn't sound like fun, but it's all about perspective. Because today I jumped through those less than glamorous hoops for a reason: a new passport!

For this do-not-pass-go globe trotting pass I posed for shiny forehead photo at the drugstore, filled out the paperwork (my dad was born in Washington, fyi), pulsed cash to cover costs, raised my right hand and swore to a government official wearing a ponytail and a cabana shirt that I am said person in said ridiculous photograph. All so I can go on vacation to a place that looks like this:

 

The trip is still weeks and weeks away, but my husband and I are already mentally packing. Paperbacks, bathing suits and sunglasses. That's about it, baby. In my heart I'm already on that beach chair, kicked back in the ocean breeze with my best friend and a cold one by my side.

Now...to find a good beach read. Besides the latest People or InStyle. Something funny and wonderful or mysterious and quirky with the capacity to sweep me away.

Any suggestions? Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Blogger dee said...

Where are you going?? I went on a shopping trip yesterday for summery clothes and this weekend plan to purchase a new digital camera to take on our cruise this fall(and to Jen's graduiation next week)....I wish our cruise was only 6 weeks away!!! If you haven't read any of Mary Kay Andrews I would recommend them....Hissy fit and Little bitty lies specifically.....I just got her new one, Savanna breezes (hardback) and plan to take it on the graduation trip to durham next week.....along with the top four or five from my 'to be read' pile....

6:51 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

I can't wait. Don't tell anyone where you're going, I don't want fans stalking you! I am not sure what I am going to read, maybe Bangkok 8. Maybe Buffett's new one, A Pirate Looks at 50. By the way, Britta's passport photo is fabulous.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

I've got Hissy Fit on my shelf...I'll have to pull it down. I hear she's great...

We just bought a new digital camera too - Olympus something or other. All I know is it's small and shiny and a little terrifying.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

How can any photo of Britta not be great?! Looks like paradise. What a wonderful thing to look forward to, lazt days on the beach, beautiful water, plenty to drink and plenty to read. *sigh*

Have enough fun for me!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, DW. We'll do our best!

7:36 AM  
Blogger dee said...

I just had lunch with Marcy and she let the cat out of the bag!! .....Hope you have a fun time......wish I was there.....

9:12 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I know where you are going! And I promise you'll love it! Jeff and I have been there twice, at that very resort, and it's one of our all-time favorite places! Sooooo relaxing and gorgeous and laid back. We actually spent Christmas there one year when our boys were in middle school.

I wanna go back!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home