Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Where did June go?

Man, it's like I blinked and it's gone. Here's what I've been up to:

Vacation. In a word: fabulous. No phones, television or computers. Just sun, sand, clear water, and loungers under palapa huts perfect for afternoon napping on the beach. You know those Corona commercials? We lived that for a week, only without being interrupted by regular programming. My question: When can I go back?

Writer Stuff.
Just got back from the best conference in Texas, The Writers' League Agents Conference in Austin, Texas. They fly in agents from all over the country and have breakout panels with authors and editors talking about everything from the craft to the business side of publishing.

I caught up with friends Marsha Moyer (if you haven't read her Second Coming of Lucy Hatch you're missing out) and the ever trippy and fun Will Clarke (his The Worthy drops this month - check it out.) I also picked up a new read by author David Liss called A Confederacy of Paper that features a Spenser type (if Spenser was a Jewish ex-pugilist) character searching down a murder in 18th century London. Good stuff.

Many thanks to all who attended my sessions and bought books. I can't tell you how much fun - and how inspiring - it is to be on the other side of that signing table. Dreams do come true, so write on, my friends. Write on.

Family. Reunions and birthdays and travel, oh my. We're hitting three out of four reunions this year, so we're bulking up on the twisted tree that is family history. Seriously, I took notes.

Reading. I've been on a streak of fantastic books, my favorite of which is The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. Unforgettable, and definitely on my "best of" list for this year so far.

Other great reads that helped June fly by:

Naked by David Sedaris
The Laments by George Hagen
Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson
River Cross My Heart by Breena Clarke

Speaking of summer reading, the trade paperback version of Potter Springs is set to hit shelves with the next few weeks. [Insert shameless plug here.] I'm starting to hear of pre-release "sightings" already - very exciting. This version has an enclosed reading group guide, so if you have book club in your area, feel free to name drop...

6 Comments:

Blogger Desperate Writer said...

Oh, sounds like you've been having a blast. You'll need a vacation from your vacation!

I'm going to recommend your book to my Mother in Law. Her church has a book club and I think this might be a really good one for it.

6:44 PM  
Blogger dee said...

love the website redesign!! and looking forward to my own vacation that seems foreverrrrrrr away....but it's only 79 days according to the cruise website....*sigh*

3:35 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

June did disappear in a hurry. I also read History of Love, and it is my favorite so far this year. Naked was funny, as was Neither Here nor There. The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson is a fascinating history of the English Language, but lacking his usual wit. I also started Haunted by Chuck P., couldn't do it! First chapter about the carrot and the swimming pool was the most disturbing thing I have ever read. Keep in mind, I am an open minded guy when it comes to literature, I love banned book lists, The Stand is one of my all time favorites, etc. If you read it, post your thoughts. Maybe it got better!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, DW, for passing the word along. Let me know if your MIL's group picks the book...and if they might like a drop-in chat with the author. (A great excuse to visit friends as well... :))

12:17 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, Dee. I love the redesign, too. Barb at RF Designs did a great job.

So exciting about the cruise...nothing better than watching the ocean drift by...

12:19 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Re: Haunted. The end notes say that Chuck's open mike readings of the piece (appropriately titled "Guts") had people vomiting in bookstores and passing out...

After reading that opening chapter, I understand why. In spite of his strength as a writer, I'm not sure I have the fortitude to press on...

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home