Friday, August 04, 2006

Going Coastal

We just got back from a trip to the Oregon coast...where I was more than pleased to find the trade paperback of POTTER SPRINGS featured on the new fiction tables. Of course, like a total goober I had to take pictures. We're not in Texas anymore, Toto! (Whipping out the digital sorta blows the elusive-I'm-an-author-cool-chick image, but I never claimed to have one anyway.)

 
Here I am in Powell's City of Books, which is a reader's idea of heaven. They literally have maps so you don't get lost in the gazillion floors which are color coded for those of us who aren't so number-oriented.

 

 
Note the hoodie wrapped around the waist. Total tourist, but with coastal weather, it's all about the layers. Plus, with a hoodie and a ponytail, you're ready for anything: hiking, water rafting, spelunking. Of which I participated in exactly none. But we did eat at some amazing restaurants. Hello Huber's!

Here's a stop at my newest favorite Borders in Oregon - in a town called Gresham. Here's Rachel, (me), Sarah and Joan. Can't you see by their faces how friendly they are?

 
Of course, when I started talking, my new friends looked at me strangely and said, with Oregonian politeness, "Where are you from?" And here I thought I didn't have an accent.

Maybe it was because I said "Thank y'all for selling my books?"

A poll: Where's the friendliest place you've ever been? The rudest? Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Blogger dee said...

oddly enough, one of the friendliest was New York...go figure....they looooove the Texas accent....the rudest is still probably any fast food place in New Mexico....the words please and thank you are a foreign language there....great pics! makes me want to go to Oregon!!...Missed you at conference though....

8:07 AM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

What a great trip!

Accent? What accent? we don't have no stinkin' accents!

I would LOVE to visit a Powell's someday.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

I love that New York was friendly. So against type...

You should definitely go to Oregon - a total hotbed for literary types, plus the whole place is so green it makes you want to be creative.

Plus you could wow them with the accent thing.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Too funny, DW. I can hear your accent as you type!

Powell's is incredible...if you can't make it to Oregon, check them out online at www.powells.com.

I loved their staff picks and could honestly have spent the better part of the week browsing the store. The coffee's not bad either!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

I have been to many friendly places, but the place that comes to mind first is Canada. I was in Prince Edward Island on a golf trip. Those people treated my like I was Prince Charles's little brother. I loved it there. Lubbock, Texas is pretty damn friendly as well. The rudest place I have been is a B&B in Grapevine, TX, sorry to say. California, in my experience, isn't overly friendly either

8:29 AM  
Blogger Shannon Canard said...

Hey, did I tell you I saw Potter Springs featured on the endcap at the B&N in Fort Worth? Right above Dan Jenkins' book, Slim and None. I was very proud and told people who passed by that I know you and they should buy your book!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, Shannon! I'm a huge fan of Dan Jenkins, and to be shelved anywhere near him is a total honor.

My favorite Jenkins novel: Baja Oklahoma.

Although I hear Slim and None is hysterical too...

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home