Monday, November 27, 2006

The Best November Ever...

Here's what I've been up to:

1. Thanksgiving hooplah. In the tradition of crazy southerners with the need to plunge any edible foodstuff in a vat of boiling oil, we deep fried our turkey this year. Seriously, I haven't been that nervous in a while. 15 people for the meal and I've got 10 gallons of lethal viscosity in my backyard, ready to maim, destroy and set my suburban neighborhood on fire. We made it through without a trip to the emergency room (praise you, Jesus!) and the turkey was quite delicious. Would I do it again? With the right medications on hand, certainly.

2. Lyle Lovett and his Large Band in concert. We had primo seats to see one of my favorite singer/songwriter/performers of all time at the gorgeous Bass Performance Hall. Lyle played for almost three hours and was backed by some of the best musicians assembled under one roof. The show was fluid, funny and probably the best live performance I've experienced. When he played "If I Had a Boat" I actually wept.

 
3. Movies, movies, movies. Finally got my husband to watch Hustle & Flow - which I love and would rewatch again and again (thank you Netflix), saw For Your Consideration in the theater - funny, strong premise, ended a little flat, and caught Borat the same day we saw Lyle. On Borat: I have images - and if you've seen it, you know which ones - burned into my brain. Hysterical and offensive. Be prepared to nearly injure yourself with squeamishness (they can't be doing that, oh my gosh, they're really doing that, for the love of all that is good and holy, make it stop!) and uncontrolled laughter.

 

4. Reading. Browsed through my spouse's nightstand and ended up reading two serial killer books - A Death in Belmont by Sebastion Junger (about the Boston Strangler) and Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper -- Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell. After slogging through both of them, fighting off nightmares and wondering what makes crazy people tick, must remind self: no more serial killers.

I also finished Ralph Ellison's Juneteenth, the novel in progress assembled from his notes after his death. It's brilliant, uneven, and makes you sad that such a genius didn't live to craft (and publish) his story in the way he wanted it received.

 

Right now I'm in the middle of Carson McCullers The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. It's a close contender for best read of the year, which is still held by Nicole Krauss' The History of Love. I'll keep you posted.

Question: Best live show you've seen? Worst? Gimme details...  Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Blogger Desperate Writer said...

Oh, Man, it would be difficult to pinpoint the best live show ever. Garth Brooks, definitely. I've seen Elvis, too.
This last weekend we saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra for the 4th time, and they are fabulous too.

As for reading, I just finished What Remains, by Carole Radziwill, widow of JFK Jr's cousin. It was well-written, and more interesting than I thought. M3 loaned it to me. And currently, I'm reading Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson(from The Late Late Show on CBS.) It's really different, but definitely worth the read.

Happy T-Day--late!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Kern said...

Lyle was the best ever, and I've seen some great ones, but one show that sticks out ten years later is Eddie Money on a Wednesday night in a smoke filled bar in Amarillo. He had put on a few pounds, but he performed as if it were the Super Bowl half time. Willie is always great live as well. My first time to see him was in 1982 at the Sportatorium in Dallas way down on Industrial. Four of us left Denton in a pickup, we were 16, of course got lost, but the show was great. Willie played Whisky River for at least 45 minutes. I saw Jerry Jeff play until 3 am one night in Justin. The Worst live show? Probably Pat Green at Sons of Herman Hall in Dallas a few years ago. Pat was fine but there were 1000 people in a hall that accomodates a 100. Drove me CRAZY!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

I really like Eddie Money, too! We saw him in concert with Heart.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

DW, you saw Elvis??? Details, please!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Desperate Writer said...

Well, I was 11, and it was the year he died. I remember the lights dropping, and this theme starting, and the excitement rolling through the crowd, but even more than that, the anticipation radiating from my Mom...I've never seen her act like that before or since. :)

By then, he didn't exactly look like the Elvis I'd already visualized, but he wasn't like he was by the time he died. He was still Elvis, and he had that beautiful voice and charisma...he will always be The King of Rock and Roll.

6:28 PM  
Blogger lanita said...

Just had to express my complete agreement with you on Lyle Lovett. We saw him at Bass Hall a year or two ago and it was, by far, the best live show I have ever seen.

As far as others go I realize that I would be totally dating myself beyond my comfort level!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Shannon Canard said...

Okay. If you found a possible contender for best book, besides The History of Love, I gotta read it. Let me know how it turns out.

Shannon

P.S. Britta, you might enjoy The Thirteenth Tale. Beautiful language, if not a little predictable.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home