Monday, April 02, 2007

Blake and Bull

I'm doing a paper on William Blake's poetry for grad school (how funny that I'm writing papers after all these years...) and was reminded of one of my favorite film scenes. Can you guess it?

Annie: [In response to Crash's query, "Who dresses you?"] The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. William Blake.
Crash: William Blake?
Annie: William Blake!
Crash: William Blake?!
Annie: William Blake!
Crash: What do you mean William Blake?
Annie: I mean William Blake!

Okay, it's easy since I left the character names in -- it's Bull Durham, a hugely quotable baseball flick starring Kevin Costner and Susan Sarandon.

Other favorite lines from Bull Durham:

Skip: You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!
Larry: Lollygaggers!
Skip: Lollygaggers.

*
Larry: Sears sucks, Crash. Boy, I once worked there. Sold Lady Kenmores. Nasty, whoa, nasty.

*
Crash: Man that ball got outta here in a hurry. I mean anything travels that far oughta have a @#%! stewardess on it, don't you think?

*
Crash: [stands up] Hey! HEY! [walks to meet Ebby at the mound]
Crash: Why are you shaking me off?
Ebby Calvin Laloush: [Gets in Crash's face] I want to give him the heat and announce my presence with authority!
*
Crash: Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.
*
So many more I could list...most notably Crash's soliloquy on what he believes in. The speech is mostly unprintable in this forum but manages to mention the novels of Susan Sontag, the actions of Lee Harvey Oswald, Astroturf and the designated hitter, and the best time to open Christmas presents.

Other favorite movie lines? Quotables?

5 Comments:

Blogger Pattie said...

I loved grad school!

The best, most quotable movie ever, is, in my opinion, The Princess Bride.

5:48 PM  
Blogger dee said...

I hated grad school, but then my papers revolved around forcast variables and the determination of dependant vs nondependant - which I illustrated using a chocolate cake analogy....got an A but the professor never looked at me the same after that. As far as movies quotes, one of my favorites is Sleepless in Seattle which quotes An Affair to Remember several times..I love it when a movie quotes a movie that I love!!

5:39 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

I agree on the Princess Bride, though it's been years since I've seen it. I remembember the "My name is..." speech and the little guy swapping poison...

Pattie, have some favorite lines?

Also, I've seen Sleepless but not (she admits with embarrassment) Affair. Sample quotes? (Dee, love the chocolate cake analogy!)

7:34 AM  
Blogger dee said...

OH MY!!! You've never seen the ultimate chick flick of the 50s???? Cary Grant & Deborah Karr(or is it Kerr?). My favorite quote - and one that is quoted by the girls in "Sleepless" which is: "Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories... And we've already missed the spring!"

Of course the funniest thing in "Sleepless" is when Rita Wilson is trying to explain why women love this movie to Tom Hanks and he makes fun of it using "The Dirty Dozen" with Lee Marvin as an example....too funny!!!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

"Candlesticks make a nice gift."

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home