Friday, August 10, 2007

Van Gogh and Lilo

A couple new friends of mine--hello Tyler and Sally!--just spent a few days with our family here in Cowtown, and I took the opportunity to revisit some favorite sites and restaurants. We took in the new Ron Mueck exhibit at the Modern Art Museum (my favorite museum in Fort Worth) and were completely blown away. He does hyper realistic sculptures of human forms ranging from a miniature seated woman (a permanent exhibit and my favorite piece) to gigantic newborn infants to a particularly poignant undersized figure titled Dead Dad, which is, in fact a rendering of Mueck's own father. If you have a chance to see the show, definitely do. This is another top pick, for me. Can't you just see them on a city corner, gossiping?


We also ate at Angelos, a historic barbecue spot, and took in an afternoon exhibit at the Kimbell which has an impressive touring collection of portraiture influenced by Picasso.



It's a humbling experience to see a self-portrait of Van Gogh and realize it's not a print but the real thing. Weird to imagine him holding a paint brush, staring at himself, and transferring that intensity onto the very canvas hanging before you.



After being all artsy fartsy, we decided to decompress with an evening at Pete's Dueling Piano Bar. I don't know how those guys do it, but they hammer out everything from Top 40s pop to Queen to Air Supply to college fight songs to a Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham rap (with the crowd shouting Sam I Am!) all to make for a great time.

My friend Sally is from London and she cooked us a real English breakfast yesterday, complete with tea and "baked beans." It looked like this:

I'm no food photographer, but we gobbled this down (even my kids cleaned their plates) and felt extremely cultured. We spent yesterday chilling poolside, floating around and talking about the differences between America and England. I did learn, among other things, that a floaty is called a lilo, which is way more fun to say.

Speaking of lilos, I'm leaving tomorrow for a week-long cruise that stops in Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Jamaica. My goal: to chart as much time in a lounge chair as is humanly possible. I'm digging through my to-be-read stack for cruise reads, which is trickier than it sounds as I'm usually so busy people watching it's hard to stay focused.

I'm off to pack, but am leaving you with a question: What's the strangest thing you've ever experienced on a vacation? [In Mike Myers' Coffee Talk Voice]: Discuss amohngst yehselves...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger dee said...

oh my lord....hard to pick the strangest thing....probably the jamacian woman....fabulously fit and trim ....showering nude in her front yard in the rain as our tour bus passed by (we'd already been to the Appleton Rum estate on Jamacia and I wasn't quite quick enough with the camera)....orrrrrr....it could be the woman who did a swan dive off the back of the boat who allowed me to investigate the morgue that all cruise ships have....if you have the choice take the "morgue" extercusion....its free....

8:57 PM  
Blogger dee said...

addendum......Kern: I just got my copy of the $64 tomato and I'm reading it now....oh my....so my spouse is wondering - Can we take this year and average it with the yield from the previous years where tomato worms, root rot and various other entities have conspired against us??? This year has been OMG and we've almost pulled up the tomatoes because we're giving them away by the twenty pound sack!!! But still....we can't quite give it up...someting about that year we only have six tomatos and the squirrels got five of them........we need help......

7:01 PM  
Blogger *Tyler* said...

I just put a "Thank you" in the post. Since you all were leaving for the cruise, I waited to send it. I had a great time with you ALL. I love your family!!! Have the kids read my latest blog entry. I wrote a bit about them. We Methodist's have to stick together:)

Hope you and Kearn had a great time sailing in your crazy cruise attire and missed the scary huricane weather???

4:28 PM  
Blogger Kern said...

I pondered Britta's question about the strangest thing that ever happened on Vacation, until I got home from this one. The cruise was nasty. Imagine everyone at Six Flags being herded onto a ship with a pack of cigarettes and a cold. Short story, they let us off in Jamaica where we proceeded to a beautiful resort. Dean comes along. By the grace of God alone, we were able to wrangle two tickets to Atlanta on Saturday. The airport in Montego Bay was without doubt the scariest thing I have ever seen. Thousands of people literally on the edge of chaos. Our plane took off a few hours before they closed the airport.

8:56 AM  
Blogger SALLY VAUGHAN said...

Greetings from the land of baked beans and lilo's -i am of course scoffing a tin of them right now as i float around on my lilo on the river Thames....now thats what i call a cruise!!
(Tomorrow i may even venture to take my lilo to the Lido!)
Sorry yours didnt quite live up to the brochure, but i'll bet you made the most of it.
Let me know when you get your snail mail letter - transatlantic postal services can be rather hit and miss!
anyway - click my name for link to my blog
x

1:39 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Dee, you should write a book based on your cruising experiences. Love the morgue excursion.

Speaking of which, yes, we made it through our tropical vacation and justbarely got out of Jamaica before Dean hit. Seriously traumatic...people were openly crying in the airport, desperate for any seat on any plane headed out. When we boarded it was like we had Charlie's golden ticket. Surreal.

Tyler and Sally, you are most welcome anytime, my friends. My family loved you and y'all fit right in. We'll have to check out your blogs...

Waves to Sally overseas -- haven't caught the snail mail yet, but you never know.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home