Thursday, November 01, 2007

National Author's Day

Who knew??? My husband came home with yellow Gerberas and my children offered hugs and smiles. I'm blessed. And I pass on the good vibes to my fellow writers laboring out there...congratulations on the work you do, on facing the pages and making them sing.

It's also the kickoff to NaNoWriMo, or for the uninitiated, National Novel Writing in a Month insanity. Google it, and you'll find a smorgasbord of bleary eyed scribblers who've committed to penning a book (good, bad, indifferent...but done!) within the confines of November.

In that spirit, I've decided to focus on my revisions for the WIP with a renewed vigor and intensity. Why not absorb the energy from my literary kinfolk and push forward with all the oomph I can muster? The weather's cold, the tea is hot, and I've got a candle that smells like a library. (Thanks, Mom.) With two Chihuahuas ready for couch time and a laptop with a long battery life, what else do I need?

I started today and wrote for two solid hours, shaping and shading, cutting and layering. It's not perfect, but for this round it doesn't have to be. Not yet. Now it's about falling in love again and spinning my tale. Perfection is for accountants anyway.

I left my manuscript with just enough thread to approach it again tomorrow...and the next day...and the next.

Wish me luck, and write on!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger "Bluebonnet in the snow" said...

Good luck, Britta! Keep up the great work!

5:25 PM  
Blogger SALLY VAUGHAN said...

can just see you!
have been trying to do the same, just substitue siamese cat for chihuaha (sp?)
x

12:25 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, Bluebonnet. Here's me hoping it WILL be great...

Sally, I love Siamese cats. I found a stray when I was a girl, and named her Blue for her eyes. She was so smart...knew how to play hide and seek.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

I love National Author's Day. My kids told me about it months ago, and it was a big hit. We successfully skipped Halloween this year, so NAD was a great seasonal replacement. I bribed my kids with dinner at Pizza Garden, movie of their choice (The Simpsons) and a bag of bulk candy each. They took the deal, we had a great time. No stress over costumes, no doorbells, no barking dogs, and no teeneagers without costumes. Best Halloween ever, and now we have NAD to celebrate. What a wonderful world.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

I do wish you luck as I have been not so patiently waiting for your next novel.

I celebrated national authors day by having a short story I sold recently being made available for all to read on the internet. My first in a very long time so it felt good.

11:35 AM  
Blogger April said...

Wow, I didn't know about National Author's Day either! Well, happy happy, al ittle late!

BTW--What kind of a candle smells like a library! WANT!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Hi Britta. I was just listening to the CD from one of your sessions at NTCW Conference. As I was listening, I went to your website and then your blog. I'm one of those NaNo Writers, and I'm having a blast letting a crazy female character (and some other characters that look dangerously like former co-workers of mine) lead me around by the nose. So far, I have 6,367 words. What fun! But I have to say, I was afraid to work on the serious piece that has been in progress for XX years. I didn't want to taint it with wild, non-stop stream-of-consiousness. I think I need to get over it.

I didn't know it was National Author's Day... but I did hear (via another author's CD from NTCW) that Nov 15 is "I Love to Write Day." www.ilovetowrite.org.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Travis, that is muy excellente! Congratulations! Please post a link so we can go read your story...

And thanks for waiting patiently. I'm writing, I'm writing!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

April, I did a little digging and found a place where you can order the Books Candle online. The ad I have reads, "The scent is designed to evoke the rich fragrances of a library with a carefully selected blend of aromatic ingredients gathered from around the world." It totally lives up to the hype (and the -- gulp -- price). Once again, thanks Mom! I'm definitely adding this to my Christmas list this year!

http://www.assoulineusa.com/boutique/candles.html

And hello to Jackie! Thanks for stopping by the blog. How is NaNoWriMo going for you and your crazy protagonist? Keep us posted.

Love the idea of "I Love To Write" day and will have to check out the site. It's a nice reminder: we do love writing. Right???

11:39 AM  
Blogger April said...

Oh, thanks for looking that up, Britta! *gulp* Maybe I can take out a loan and get one of those candles someday. ;)

9:08 PM  
Blogger dee said...

I actually got to write fiction this month for the first time in freakin forever. The Bobster had me write a parable (its basically a YA) about the three biggest hangups of mankind - money, religion and sex. I can't wait for you to read it! It basic principles with alot of very inside writer jokes...and um...for that who thing where she talks to the first genie about "God" and I compared religion to popcorn and noted that God thought popcorn turned out so much better....ahem "Forgive me father for injecting a bit of humor into your area of expertise"......

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home