Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Favorite Things

Happy New Year! To ring in 2008, I thought I'd list out a few of my favorite things...in no particular order.

Reef sandals. My sister-in-law bought me a new pair for Christmas in a funky metallic shade. I wear them year round, whenever it's warm enough that my toes don't freeze off.

Dark chocolate. Of which we now have a plethora thanks to thoughtful family and friends. My neice sent me dark chocolate covered cherries from Trader Joe's (one of my favorite stores.) These candies rock because 1) they're dark chocolate 2) they have the cherries but without all the syrupy goo.

Juno. Caught it over the holiday, and it's hands down my favorite film of the year. The dialogue is fantastic, thanks to a brilliant screenplay by Diablo Cody, and the lead characters riffs are major quote-worthy. But my favorite line is delivered by Jennifer Garner with nuanced shades of grief and loathing: "Your shirt is stupid."

Knitting accessories. Santa brought me tiny silver scissors and a handy retractable tape measure. Yes, I realize that makes me supercool.

Christmas cantatas. We have a couple at my church who sing a hymn a cappela every Christmas Eve, and it makes me cry every year. They're truly gifted, and the sight of them singing together, those complex incredible notes, makes me think God must be smiling, right at that moment.

Yoga. I've been away from it for a while, but I'm busting out the Rodney Yee tape today. Because I know if I hit my gym class without warming up, I'll be face planted in child's pose the entire hour.

The Cowboys. In spite of a dismal December, I'm thankful for the most exciting season since the 90s. Whatever happens in playoffs, I'll say I'm thrilled with what Wade and the Boys have accomplished.

Resolutions. And not just for January. I like the reminder, of course, that as human beings we always have the option to set our minds and hearts on becoming better people. In that vein, I'd like to share one of my favorite prayers, by Francis of Assisi (I was reminded of it in a Dear Abby column, of all things. But come on, who doesn't love Abby?)

So here it is, the prayer of St. Francis, and may it be a blessing for all that is good in 2008:

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Care to share? What are a few of your favorite things? (And can you read that without hearing Julie Andrews singing in the background?)

3 Comments:

Blogger ScottM said...

Make pizza. Use the same basic ingredients over and over but just change it up enough each time that it's a little different from the last time. That's twenty of my favorite things right there.

My other favorite things are even less sophisticated.

No, unfortunately there is no way to remove the Julie Andrews soundtrack from my head, and if someone cues it up by saying that phrase it plays autmotically and there is nothing I can do about it. I wish there was a way to delete that and a lot of other stuff out of my brain the same way I delete stuff off the DVR. Julie Andrews Favorite Things - Are you sure you want to delete? Yes.

I'll need the Cowboys to notch at least one post-season victory. An early exit would be too much like the Mavs early exit against the Warriors.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

Gifts: An undercabinet CD/Radio for the kitchen. NPR comes in loud and clear now. I love cooking and listening to "All Things Considered." My sister gave me a pair of Sanuk Drifter sandals. I love them. I also got a cashmere robe that is unreal.

Movies of 07: The Darjeeling Limited, Juno, and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Car: I've owned a bunch, but I love my VW Passat Wagon. It makes me cool.

Dish: Tough choice, but if I had to pick, it would be Pad Thai (pork) from Thai Tina's on Denton Highway.

Cowboy: Jason Witten. He don't need no stinking helmet.

Resolution: Already done. come over and look at our refrigerator!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

I actually did a post in late December where I ripped off the melody of My Favorite Things and rewrote the lyrics to suit me. Here is the link if you get a chance check it out.

http://traviserwin.blogspot.com/2007/12/favorite-stuff.html

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home