Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Novel Update...and Chekhov

I'm well into my revisions...and slowly but surely making progress on the WIP. My goal this week: 5 solid pages a day. I'm a third of the way through, and the earlier work was, admittedly, the more polished third, so the rest of round two will be something of an uphill climb. If I think about the whole journey I'll get terrified and quit. Right now it's a matter of putting one foot in front of the other, or in this case, one word after the next. I have to remember my own advice: it doesn't have to be perfect. Yet.

I subscribe to the often-wonderful Writer's Almanac, and found a great quote for today. If you want to subscribe to daily poems, historical notes, and noted author's birthday's, click here.

Today is Anton Chekhov's birthday. Known by some as the father of the short story, Chekov says: "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out."

I find this humorous, and often true. In the vein of not letting daily living wear me out, I'm back in my best routine of pray, read, write, family time, knit and exercise. Plus healthy doses of bubble baths, dark chocolate and naps. Sounds simple, but it keeps me sane.

What keeps your cookies cool? Tips for habitually healthy living? Do share...

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger dee said...

okay miss thang...send it already...so is it a WIP or just rantings?..need to hear some new material from you and its not just about what fits the market...it about the new, the differnt the YOU!...gimme the best you have to this point and I'll send it to the contacts I have...no more namby pamby crap .... you got it or you dont ....and we both know you got it....send me some new stuff.....

8:17 PM  
Blogger Kern said...

I operate best on a good routine, much like a toddler. I get up, feed the kids, make lunches, take them to school, go to the gym, go to work, go to the grocery store, make dinner, spend quiet evening with B. I feel better, eat better, I am calmer, sleep better, listen better, etc. Events like the holidays turn my apple cart over, and then runs it into a muddy ditch.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Dee. I'm working, I'm working! (Will try to keep the namby pamby to a minimum.)

Kern, you make me laugh. Love the holiday-ditched apple cart visual.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

http://www.flylady.com. Wonderful pointers--I don't necessarily have time for all of them, but what I have learned is quite helpful. I think it works best for stay-at-home parental figures?

Also, in the writing realm: My first story is due next week Wed! I am at page 15... I am thinking 1 more to go? February 13 is workshop day. Oh, how I love workshops.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Mathilda, just finished cruising the www.flylady.com site. I can already tell I'm going to subscribe! Thanks for the suggestion.

Good luck with your story...I know workshops can be terrifying and exhilarating all at once. Keep us posted how it goes.

I'm taking a poetry workshop this semester with my first poem due next week. Have I told you I am Not a Poet? (Here's me trying extrahard not to break into hives.)

5:31 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

I would weigh in, but I'm afraid healthy living is not a subject that I know much about.

11:20 AM  
Blogger TJ Wilson said...

Britta - great quote... I have had similar thoughts but could never put it so bluntly and simply as Chekov. But in truth, it's the day to day that often "topples my apple cart" right now.
Have been wanting to tell you how much I absolutely loved Potter Springs, and it made it into the Christmas stockings of a handful of family and friends. Can't wait to hear more about novel #2... keep putting one foot in front of the other...

9:50 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

TJ, thanks so much! I think one of the finest compliments I get is when people buy my books for loved ones. What an endorsement.

Thanks for the encouragement, too. Here's me walking, one step and one step and one step...

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home