Friday, February 22, 2008

DFW Writers Conference This Weekend

Just a quick post to let you know I'll be teaching a workshop at the DFW Writers Conference this weekend in Grapevine, TX. It's not too late to sign up, and the conference is stacked with agents and editors, along with published authors, to help you along your writing journey.

My session is at 2:30 and my topic is "Exploding the Moment: Write Now!" Notice the punny wording. We'll be going over some exercises to help break through writer's block and to bring depth to your fiction. Should make for a great time. Many of my writer friends will be there, including the fabulous Candace Havens who will deliver the lunchtime keynote, which you won't want to miss because she's a) hysterical b) supertalented c) quick with gossipy quotes about everything from the book industry to Hollywood.

So, hurry up to register and drop by and see me.

Fashion dilemma--I need your votes! For the conference should I wear:

1) Black shirt and jeans (safe yet authorly)
2) Flowy skirt with flat boots (boho chic)
3) Brown slacks, pink oxford and ankle boots (sassy yet professional)
4) Pajama bottoms and a sweater (my daily at-home gear)

Please, feel free to come up with your own combinations...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kern said...

Definitely the Bohemian writer chic look. Flowy skirt, flat boots.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

My fashion snese stinks. Well, yu know that since you've seen me before, but next year let me know about this event earlier. I try to make two ro three conferences a year, and Dallas is close.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

I have no idea, but now that I know that jeans/a black shirt is "authorly" I think I might have to go shopping! ;)

In other "author" news, Pam Houston (Sight Hound, Cowboys Are My Weakness...) visited our school and is going to be contributing an interview for our lit journal. Actually, I just finished editing it. She gave an excellent craft talk about "glimmers" in writing.

Question: Do authors experience MORE of life because they are always thinking "Hmm... how could this be written?" Or less of life because they are never really "in the moment". Something Pam discussed which has sparked interesting conversations in the UWM writing world.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

I went with safe over chic: black jeans, gray turtleneck, pointy boots. Thanks for your votes!

Travis, sorry I didn't have the info on the blog earlier...I did have it on the website, but I'll remember for next year. It was a great conference and we'd have loved to see you there.

Interesting question, Mathilda. It makes me ask another--do we have to be "in the moment" to experience life, or can reflections and imaginings be another, and equally valid, way of experiencing life? (This could just be my way of justifying the fact that I spend a majority of my time writing in my head, daydreaming, asking what-if, etc.)

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home