Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Town (belated) Monday: Last Meal

Last night we celebrated a family birthday by immersing ourselves in fried chicken at the famouse Babe's Chicken Dinner House at the original location in Roanoke, Texas. It's the kind of place where none of the chairs match, the roof leaks when it rains (like last night), and the entire interior is coated with a fine sheen of fryer grease. Babe's makes annual "Best of" lists around the country for its delectable fried chicken, one of only two available entrees on the menu. The other option is chicken fried steak, and I've had both. Go for the chicken. It comes with an all-lettuce salad, creamed corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, and fresh biscuits. Definitely a comfort food lovefest. We figured that since yesterday north Texas was under flash flood warnings and heavy thunderstorms, we'd have the place to ourselves. No such luck--the place was packed wall to drippy wall with ecstatic, rain-gear wearing diners. Babies crawling under tables, small-town waitresses doing the hokey-pokey mid-aisle, and adults with six-packs of BYOB. We waited our turn, got seated at an uneven table listing hard to the port side, and happily ponied up the ten bucks a pop to treat ourselves to one of the best meals I've ever eaten, in my town or otherwise.

In fact, I had to choose my last meal (in a Dead Man Walking world), mine would be Babe's, hands down. What about you?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kern said...

Babes is a great meal, no doubt about it. I love how the salt sticks to crust. But if Gov. Perry was getting ready to throw the switch on me, I would have to choose from one of the following:

Pad Thai (pork) from Thai Tina's in Watauga

Ribs from Agelo's in Ft. Worth

Corned beef sub from Captain Nemo's in Irving

Double Dirty Love Burger from the Love Shack in Ft. Worth

Calzone and a Gyro from Vince's Pizza in Amarillo

I am sure I'll think of more, and be back later.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Searcher Amy said...

Haven't visited Babe's yet, but I've heard it's good.
For fried chicken, however, I'd cut off my arm for chicken from Mrs. Allen's in Sweetwater, Texas. Allen's (as it's known by locals) is an absolute must if you are through the booming metropolis during the day. Mrs. Allen, the owner's mother, sold fried chicken out of her backdoor for years, before purchasing a house and turning it into a restaurant. Ask any oilman and he'll tell you Allen's is it.
As for burgers, I'm rather fond of a local joint called Nicky D's in Crowley. Great greasy burger with homemade fries, cut fresh every day. Two words: Yum-Me!

12:47 PM  
Blogger TJ Wilson said...

Oh see, my fav is their chicken fried steak. And I totally agree with Kern on ribs from Angelo's. And while it's practically become a national landmark, nothing beats Joe T's.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

My friend Reagen and I just ate out here: http://www.sazs.com/. And I have to say, they are known for their ribs, but the sour cream and chive fries were fantastic. Plus, they give free bus rides to Milwaukee Buck's games. So, it's a whole lot of culture wrapped into a little corner grill and bar under the freeway.

Also, I went to Ikea for the first time today. Tried to buy a bed, but realized it wouldn't fit in the car with three adults and a baby. Ah well. Looks like the air mattress is going to have to work for a few more months.

Details: Prick of the Spindle, an online literary journal (don't knock it 'till you try it--one of their authors just won Best of the Net 2007) will be publishing short story, "Genesis" later this month. I will link to it when it here comes out. In the mean time, I await for the editor to get back to me with changes and such.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Your My Town posts always make me hungry, but for my last meal I'd venture out of the Lone Star State to Le Cellier steakhouse in the Canada portion of Epcot at Disney World. Their maple glazed beef is as good as food gets.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Kern, for Thai Tina's I have to go for the ginger salmon with red curry. Addictive with just the right amount of spice, plus the asparagus/avocado sauce makes my mouth water. Love Angelo's ribs and while it goes against my nature to order poultry at a BBQ establishment, their smoked chicken rocks.

Amy, I have to get to Allen's in Sweetwater! Mrs. Allen sounds like a good character for a novel...hmmm.

TJ, don't be shy about loving Babe's chicken fried steak. Comfort food can cross all boundaries. At Joe T's, I have to say I favor the fajitas over the enchiladas.

Sour cream and chive fries? To echo Amy: Yum Me. Mathilda, I'm proud of you not only for your pub, but for braving the doors of Ikea. That place frightens me. (I'm afraid I'll get lost amongst the reasonably-priced home furnishings.)

Travis, I've never thought of Disneyworld as a culinary destination, but am not at all surprised you sniffed out a good steak, even in Epcot.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

Great post...I feel like I've been to Babe's now! To be honest, my last meal would be my own baked chicken & potato. Out on our deck.

12:35 PM  
Blogger dee said...

mmmmm...fried chickens.....mmmmm...love to eat it but hate to cook it...one of the places here in town (Randy's) now has rabbit on the menu...and my husband said that there is a sudden and noticable decrease in the number of jackrabbits in southwest park....coincidence???

10:28 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Coincidence? I think not!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home