Monday, March 03, 2008

My Town Monday--Hot Dogs and Hot Votes


Texas, as many of you know, is weird. This weekend we were out in the garden planting zinnia and marigold seeds, pruning the rose bushes for spring. In shorts.
This guy (left) was hanging out on our brick wall, soaking up some sunshine.


Kern even whipped up some gourmet grilled hot dogs with whole wheat buns and a variety of peppers--which looked like this. Can't you smell them?



I don't know what it is, but to me a grilled hot dog, with peppers and spicy mustard (and the occasional jalapeno) is one of the best things on earth. (Almost makes me forget those horrific meat scenes from Sinclair's The Jungle.)

Today, it's frigid and raining and I'm in two layers of clothes hoping my plants don't freeze to death. I'd say it's odd, but given this is Texas, it's pretty normal.

Even though the weathers pulled a chilly snap, the political races are heating up huge in my town, as the primaries and caucuses are held in Texas tomorrow, March 4th. There are signs on almost every available corner, with Hillary Clinton, John McCain, Mike Huckabee, Barak Obama and Ron Paul (bless his heart) vying for roadside visibility. Candidates have cruised through our area, pulling in huge crowds in Fort Worth (and our neighbor to the east, Dallas) as well as other cities throughout the state. Our daily paper has new photo ops with grinning politicians, shaking hands and asking for votes. Almost every day we have messages from council leaders, our governor with the good hair, Rick Perry, and taped messages from the candidates themselves.

Do I mind the political flurry? Not one bit. Because I'm an American and the right to vote isn't one I take lightly. Plus, it's exciting to see the political pundits focused on my home state, knowing that the races aren't over until somebody nabs Texas. No matter how weird we are.

So, here's my two cents: get out and vote. Exercise your right and let your voice be heard. Take your kids, visit with your neighbors in line--and do the right thing. I'll be out there, and afterward I may just treat myself to a hot dog. It's just so American.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger *Tyler* said...

I'm wearing my "I voted" sticker right now!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

I voted too, and it was great to see the crowds out. No stickers though...will have to write my local politicos about that key oversight!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

Sigh........ My candidate lost. It was exciting however to see that many people involved in the process. I will say that a primary and caucus in the same day, or same year for that matter, makes no sense. A simple primary is much more efficient, but nobody asked me. I think I will write a letter to my precinct captain.

Tyler, when are you going to post on your blog again?

8:47 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Don't shoot me Britta but I didn't get you linked up this week. I'm fixinghtat right now and I'm sorry for forgettign you.

By the way I exercosed my right and voted yesterday.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

No worries, Travis...and thanks for linking me up.

Kern, I wish they would ask you about the caucusing and the primaries. You make more sense than anyone I've heard so far...

11:07 AM  
Blogger WordVixen said...

I won't even get to vote until November since I'm a registered republican and we now only have one candidate. However, our state is supposed to be the deciding factor for the democrats (Pennsylvania).

2:33 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Yes, all eyes will be on Pennsylvania soon. John McCain must be breathing easier these days.

No such luck for the Democrats. It's got to be grueling, and I wonder how the extended campaigning for them will pan out in November. A tired candidate versus a rested one? Should be interesting...

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home