Thursday, March 06, 2008

Project Runway and Two by Two Thursday

Congrats to Christian on winning Project Runway, and for finding his style soulmate in Posh Beckham. Honestly, no matter how annoying Christian can be with his wiry arrogance, I thought his lip-trembling humility on the runway rather touching. Of course he sprang back to uber-confidence faster than you can say "fierce" after he won. I liked his designs: the drama, the frills, the palette, but if I were to buy one dress, it would have been Rami's intricately ruffled black evening dress (minus the pone-highlighting side panels) or that creamy-tan number with less regal shoulder accents. I actually thought Rami's black evening gown similar in tone to Jennifer Garner's fabulous gown from the Oscars.



On another note, I'm picking up a cue from the Women of Mystery (and by extension, Travis) and joining in their Two Sentence Tuesday. Except it's Thursday because I'm not sure I'm with it enough to blog thematically on Monday (My Town Monday) AND Tuesday. So, I'll shoot for Two by Two Thursday. Catch the Noah's ark spin? I like the thought of those sentences marching together, toward a grand adventure.

The idea is to post two sentences you've read and two sentences you've written from that week. The reading sources can be from all over the place: the newspaper, a blog, a tabloid, a book. The writing can be from a work in progress, a snippet of your journal, an email, an essay for class, a reminder to your kids, a signed confessional, whatever. I think it's a great idea, and user friendly since most of us read and write at least two sentences a week.

Here are my first two:

"Be careful there. When we're indecisive, the wishes of others gain." -- from Shirley Hazzard's National Book Award Winner The Great Fire

"He'd administered her shots, prescribed antibiotics when she got ear infections. He also performed an in-office urine extraction, an embarrassing apex of Dorie's adolescence when she had a bladder infection in fourth grade and was too nervous to pee in the cup." -- from my novel in progress

Sentences to share? Let me know and I'll link you...

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Searcher Amy said...

For me, the most beautiful outfit of the evening was the forest green gown that Rami put together with the basketweave corset. To quote Michael Kors, "Gorg!"
Christian's stuff was totally Fashion Week-worthy. I guess I'm more of a ready-to-wear kind of person.
I'm sitting at home listening to the sleet hit the window and knitting, so, of course, I thought of Britta.
Here's my reading and writing this week -- all related to my possible quest to ordained ministry:
Reading: God brought forth the sun and the rain for everyone, not just for those who follow Him.
Writing: I have to move beyond my tight insulated circle into the realm of God's people, into realms where I might not like the people, into realms where I haave pre-judged and pre-determined how they will act. I must move beyond that to see them the way Jesus does.
Maybe not what you were looking for, but it's what I'm studying this week.

9:59 AM  
Blogger David Dust said...

Hey Britta -

Christian put on a S-H-O-W!

Click here for DavidDust's Project Runway Recap.

Bye...love you...love your hair!

11:34 AM  
Blogger *Tyler* said...

I'm sad to see the Projest Runway season come to a close. I like reading the updates/opinions posted on your blog. On the other hand, I think I can get into the Two by Two and look forward to others. Here's mine:
Reading- Given that high stakes tests have not evidenced authentic learning gains, scholars express deep concerns over the negative and harmful results of testing on schools, teachers, students, and the curriculum. (TAKS on the brain)
Writing- "Would you like fries with that" doesn't sound too bad. (on my most recent blog entry)

That's right Kern, I finally posted a new blog entry and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I think I am jealous that you left the educational profession and I haven't.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Hi Amy! Welcome to the blog. I liked Rami's corset work as well. And with my coloring, I'd probably do better in the green, but who can say no to a perfect black dress? (Notice how I'm perfectly reasonable in my fashionably impossible dreams.)

Love the quotes from your reading and writing, Amy. Along those lines--and applical for all our searcher quests--I read this yesterday and found it inspiring: "Fight fear as you would a plague. Turn it out of your lives and home...Fear destroys Hope." It's from a devotional titled God Calling, and is one of my favorites.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Yes, David, Christian turned it OUT. I think he truly grasped the drama/couture aspects of the show, and was one of the reasons he won. Plus that little elf can sew like lightning!

Tyler, I'll miss doing the recaps. I may have to turn to another guilty pleasure: America's Next Top Model. I'm behind on this season's shows though, and may not have time to catch up. Maybe Top Chef?

TAKS makes my brain hurt, and you deserve an extra jewel in your crown for mucking through it on behalf of our kids. I'll have to drop by your blog to check out the fries quote. I'm curious to know the context. Have you gotten a second job? :)

6:18 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

I really am glad to see you blogging more and I like your sentences. The characters voice really came through even in such a short excerpt.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, Travis. And thanks for the inspiration. You're my blogging style icon.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

Apparently this whole Project Runway thing has made its way into the writing world. This week just happens to be the Wisconsin Writer's Festival, so some classmates/professors and I took Dan Wickett (Emerging Writer's Network), Aaron Burch (Hobart Literary Journal), and Chris Mazza (Waterbaby, etc.) out on the town. Seeing drunk professors/writers act out scenes from P.R. when you, yourself (and Dan, who doesn't drink--thanks for that moral support!), are quite sober is... well... quite short story worthy.

Reading (An email confirming my master's project defense date from Professor Liam Callanan--check out his books All Saints and The Cloud Atlas): "I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier! But I checked and I already have your date on my calendar, so all is well."

Writing (from short story "Genesis"): His right foot, frozen by below-zero temperatures, had become frost bitten and began to fall off in chunks of flesh while brittle bones would chip and break away. Still, true love’s song called the man further towards his destiny.

My writing goal for this weekend is 20 pages. I am planning on pushing myself. But, I am allowing some of my writing to be clunky. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

Checking in at page 10.5 (well, really 26.5, as I already had about 16 pages written). Tomorrow, I will hit 35 if I MAKE myself hit my goal. And I will!

But, OH, my writing.

Inner muse says, "Yes, but that's what editing is for" ;)

2:47 PM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

Signing out from a weekend of writing at 11,682 words and 35 (+2 lines) pages total--meaning an addition of 20 pages. Also meaning, I MET MY GOAL!

Woot!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Kern said...

Read: "This promulgated addendum allows the buyer, at their expense, to seek an environmental assessment report." - Texas Real Estate Contracts, 3rd Ed.

Wrote: "Hi Jenny, do you have a tracking # for the disburment on file# 12337?" - an email to a title company earlier today.

Real Estate brokerage is exhillerating.

Project Runway? I am still not over Uli's defeat last season.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Way to go, Mathilda on hitting the pages!!! Love your sentences, and anytime you see "all is well" in a professor's email, it's worth celebrating.

Keep us posted on your work...we're cheering for you!

Kern, you are the rock star of real estate. To help get over your Uli grief, I think you should buy one of her dresses for someone you love. Just an idea.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Me an icon?

I usually just serve as a bad example.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home