Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring Break & Two by Two Thursday

Spring Break changes the older I get, and I think both of us are getting better with the years. I spent my morning in the backyard catching up on some reading for class. Loving the sunshine, even as I sat under an umbrella with unembarrassed old-ladiness. I'm not a fan of the skin cancer, and I've had two friends with close brushes the past two years. No thank you, melanoma.

I remember as a kid my mom would take us to the beach for Spring Break. (I say "beach" even though I mean Galveston with its murky brown water and its surprisingly dead sea life washed up on gelatinous sand.) My mother has olive earth-goddess skin that goes from pale to bronze, zero to sixty with barely a pause. My skin is more of the balded chicken variety, that goes from ghostly white to freckled to fried. After a day at the beach, my mom would come home looking like a Coppertone ad and I'd be sunsick and shivering, my skin the color of a fresh boiled lobster. So, these days I wear hats, SPF 50, and stay in the shade except when I'm swimming. And for Spring Break, I read, go to museums, and watch movies. Cause I'm cool like that.

Here's this week's two-by-two.

"That is, with due respect to Shakespeare and others, we want our girls to communicate freely with the live world around them rather than plunge into musty old books. We are still groping perhaps, but we grope intelligently, like a gynecologist feeling a tumor." -- Nabokov's Lolita

"We'll be fine. Maybe we can have green pancakes & bacon for dinner." -- in a text message to Kern on St. Patrick's day

For new readers of the blog, Two by Two Thursday shares two sentences read (from any source) and two sentences written (to any source.) Feel free to share yours.

Have Spring Break plans this year?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

I'm with you on the freckling/burning. I'll only have one day off for "Spring Break," which I'll likely be spending reading out on the deck, perhaps with a couple of shots of Bailey's on the rocks. Might camp out in the yard overnight for the full moon (as our tent is pretty much clear screen material if you leave the rain fly off.)
Have a happy!

12:45 PM  
Blogger TJ Wilson said...

Love the Lolita quote, makes me feel better about my 8-year old not enjoying reading. At all.
Regarding SB, taking our older boys (6&8) to Six Flags tomorrow to hear Toby Mac. I know, we live the high life.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

Here is the Official Link to my story: http://www.prickofthespindle.com/fiction/2.1/freese/genesis.htm. Check out the bio at the bottom--I did a little publicity plug for your book which I thought you might enjoy. :)

Spring break plans... Writing my creative writing thesis. And Holy Weeking, of course.

Read: "Let there be wicked kings and beheadings, battles and dunĀ­geons, giants and dragons, and let villains be soundly killed at the end of the book." C.S. Lewis On Three Ways of Writing for Children. Only one sentence, but it's sufficient enough for me.

Wrote: "Just wondering if you wanted to get together for C-C-Coffee on Thursday. It will be Holy coffee, of course, because of Maundy Thursday. ;)" An email to my friend, Elizabeth.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

If the link doesn't work try http://prickofthespindle.com/, click on fiction, and then "Genesis". Under Sarah Freese which is my real name ;)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Have you about floated away down there?

5:45 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, Lana. Your break sounds pretty wonderful, too.

TJ, I once wrote an article about my secret love of Six Flags. The rides, the smells, the people watching. Hope you had fun.

Mathilda/Sarah, congrats on making headway on your thesis and holyweeking (love the verb.) I'll have to check out your pub. So exciting!

Travis, we've survived the floods and are up for sunny weather. I can only hope the rain will save one of my new trees that's wilting in the backyard.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hi Britta,

As promised, Clare at Women of Mystery linked to your 2X2 post.

I'm glad to see you were in the St. Patrick's Day spirit. It's my favorite holiday.

Terrie

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home