Saturday, April 12, 2008

Author Signing: Jodi Thomas in Fort Worth Today

A quick note to let you know my friend Jodi Thomas will be in Fort Worth today, signing her newest novel, Twisted Creek, from 12-2 at Sam's Club on 4400 Bryant Irvin Road. There's also the inaugural meeting of the Jodi Thomas DFW fan club at 2:30 at MiMi's restaurant across the street (which I hear has a killer bread pudding.) I'll be at Sam's this afternoon, and I'm hoping that, along with my signed copies, I don't come home with a forty gallon jar of mustard.

To see a YouTube trailer for Jodi's novel, click here. Which begs the question: we use trailers, or commercials, to sell everything from life insurance to movie tickets, so why not books? There's the adage that print sells print--as in reviews and ads in newspapers, magazines--but can film sell print?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Billy said...

Absolutely--film can make some books, whether we're talking You Tube or something far larger. Shoeless Joe was a pretty dismal failure by W.P. Kinsella, who had written his novels of magical realism for years (10-15 novels) without any real sales success. The book, like most of his others, was panned and died a quiet death. It gets made into Field of Dreams and then goes through 27 printings. (It is a bit saccharine in print and the narrative meanders all over the place, with constant and confusing digressions ... and I still like it anyway.)

I think anything visiual is a plus in marketing. Stuff goes viral at the speed of light from You Tube. Just look at presidential politics. You Tube presence is a must. Part of the Internet and marketing paradigm shift.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Honestly, the first time I heard of a book "trailer" I was totally resistant to the idea. I tend to read to get 'away' from video/tv/movie kinds of things. I have watched a few since that time but they've had no influence on me at all toward buying a book.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Billy, I just recently rewatched Field of Dreams and found myself liking it all over again. Haven't read the book, though.

I agree, we're in the midst of major cultural and informational shifts. I had never seen a book trailer before this one, and I found the whole thing unusual. I did think it was well done, and as the comments suggest, could be a useful tool in drumming up interest.

Charles, I think you've hit on a key issue. Does a trailer make you want to buy the book? I usually don't turn to YouTube for reading ideas, but if a friend pops me a link in an email--which is what happened in this case--I'm likely to check it out.

For me, print still sells print, but I'm open to argument. And, like Billy says, you can't deny the impact of a major film on a book's sales.

That, and Oprah.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

I love that book cover. Very inviting!

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home