Thursday, April 17, 2008

NETWO Conference and Two by Two

A Where in the World is Britta update:

Well, right now I'm in front of my computer, but next weekend (April 25-26) I'm headed to East Texas to join NETWO, the Northeast Texas Writers Organization for their 2008 Writers Roundup conference. I'll be joined by a slew of authors, including Texas comic crime novelist Ben Rehder whose first novel, Buck Fever, was nominated for an Edgar award. If my husband's late night laughter is any judge, Ben knows what he's doing. For those looking to land their first book deal, the conference will have agents and editors on hand as well. Another draw for the weekend: it's on the shores of Lake Bob Ray Sandlin.

Here are this week's Two by Two sentences, inspired by the Women of Mystery who started Two Sentence Tuesday. If you want to join in, you can post on your own blog and let me know, or leave your sentences in the comments. And because I believe in free will, it doesn't have to be Tuesday. Or Thursday.

Two Sentences Read:

"He recognizes his old Monopoly game being played, the board in two pieces, the racecar missing ever since Sonia dropped it into the baseboard heater when she was little. Gogol does not know to whom these children belong--half the guests are people his mother has befriended in recent years, people who were at his wedding but whom he does not recognize." -- from Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake.

I love the detail here...that bit about the racecar in the heater is so specific it has to be true. After finishing this novel for the second time (even better on the re-read), I watched the film. Gorgeous colors in costume and cinematography, but overall it doesn't hold up to the book. Hard to take the lead character seriously when he's played by Kumar of Whitecastle.


For my two sentences written:

"Hoosits was Gus's shorthand for Hoosiers, a cheap knockoff of the Hooters bars, that featured a scrawny basketball-playing owl, and scrawnier girls to go with it. He'd heard the wings weren't bad though." -- from my WIP.

I'm still working through this round of revisions, on page 180 out of 285. I think I can, I think I can...

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Generic Hooters is never a good idea though in truth I'm not a fan of the real thing either. The restaurant chain that is. I'm just going to quit typing before I dig any deeper.

4:41 PM  
Blogger "Bluebonnet in the snow" said...

I know you can! You've done it before, and you did it well. Keep up the great work!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Renae said...

What a beautiful church! And you're right, it does remind me of Mitford.

Blessings!

--renae
www.renaebrumbaugh.com

6:22 PM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

We're earthquaking here in Grand Rapids.

Q: Sarah, I thought you were in Milwaukee.

A: I am! But, I am currently at the Festival of Faith and Writing at Calvin University and meeting amazingly cool people.

Except that literary agent. Him and I have issues; I knew my book proposal wasn't the best it could be, but I figured, good experience, right? No. BAD experience. Bloodsucking jerk. I hate agents. (I am sure some of them are wonderful, but I personally never want to talk to one again. I am perfectly happy with the rejection letters I get from literary journals).

7:49 AM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

Correction: he and I. See, I am so flustered I can't even speak in correct grammatical English.

7:52 AM  
Blogger dee said...

There used to be a bar very similar to the one you describe just off paramount....hmm...even had a basketball playing owl...never tried their wings though...

8:40 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Travis, please, dig as deep as you want. Makes for entertainment for the rest of us!

Thanks, Bluebonnet. I appreciate the encouragement.

Welcome to the blog, Renae. While I don't think the outward appearance of a church is of eternal importance, it sure makes it a cheery place to go on Sundays.

Mathilda/Sarah--anger can make anyone slip a "he" for a "him." I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. You're right that not all agents are bloodsucking jerks. (Case in point: my agent, the lovely Marcy Posner of Sterling Lord Literistic.)

My advice is to pour all that indignation into writing a killer book proposal. (Thus causing your jerky appt. to miss out on a fabulous commission.)

Dee, funny how those little coincidences pop up in our writing, hmmm?

8:58 AM  
Blogger The Anti-Wife said...

I know you can, I know you can, I know you can.......

2:53 PM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

I've only been in a Hooters once and the wings weren't that good.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

*LOL @ Kumar!* Have a great trip. :)

8:53 PM  
Blogger Leigh Russell said...

The church looks like something off a film set.

Two sentence Tuesday. How does that work? (That's two sentences...)

3:49 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thanks, Anti-Wife. Sometimes it helps to hear it from outside my own head!

Charles, sorry the Hooters wings fell...flat.

We plan to, Lana. I'll do a post on the conference when we get back. Should be fun.

Leigh, that's an excellent contribution for Two Sentence Tuesday. I like it. (Which should serve as my two for this week...)

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home