Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tyranny and Two X Two

On my heart and in the news today are those poor women and children from the religious sect housed Eldorado, about five hours drive from my home town of Fort Worth. You've seen the pictures on the news: those girls dressed like Laura from Little House in the Prairie, bewildered and clutching the hands of their own children.
I can't imagine what they're feeling, having suddenly been released from tyranny and thrust into the crazy lights of "outside world" with the media's unblinking eye catching every detail. Still no reports that they've found the courageous 16-year old who made the initial contact, in an act of bravery that may have broken the cycle of abuse for hundreds. Lord, I hope they find her.

What I can't get over are the arguments from the sect's attorney, from today's paper (and my Two Sentences Read for this Two X Two post):

"Goldstein contended in his motion that the temple was a 'religious sanctuary' and that the authorities violated the First Amendment rights of church members. But 51st District Judge Barbara Walther let the search warrants stand."

Here's a shout out to Babs for having not only backbone, but a genuine sense of right and wrong. In my opinion, once you start sexually abusing children the whole "religious sanctuary" thing doesn't really fly.

I just wonder what they'll do with all those kids...where will those girls go to be resocialized? It has to be terrifying.

On a much lighter note, for my Two Sentences Written, a missive also involving women and children: "We did receive our daughter's report card and have signed it, as requested. Unfortunately, we must have put it in a 'very special place' as we can't seem to find it this morning."

Ever been part of a religious sect? The raid: a violation of rights or a smart move?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger WordVixen said...

I'm all for freedom of religion, but I just don't see child abuse/sexual abuse as a God-given right or a method of worship. We have the freedom to worship as we choose. Not to violate the law where human rights are at stake.

Plus, claiming sanctuary only works in government recognized churches, and isn't supposed to be used for an entire sect.

Yeah, rushing in can make things a bit murky for legitimate protests down the road, but there are certain crimes that you'll never convince me are a matter of opinion.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

That is a sad situation from Eldorado and it's hard to believe things of that magnitude could happen in this day an age.

You're two sentences sounds a lot like things at my house.

3:41 AM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Wow, I had not heard of this until now. How horrible. Like Travis, I'm amazed sometimes that such things happen these days, but people are still very isolated and very few of us look beyond our own front gates.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

A religious sect? Yes. The ill-named Sisters of Mercy in 12 years of Catholic boot camp.

More seriously, this latest story about sexual abuse in the cult is horrifying. How many more have not been discovered ...?

10:25 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Wordvixen, great points, all.

Travis, is my daughter's report card at your house?

4:36 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Charles and Billy, for more on the story here's a link:

http://www.star-telegram.com/448/story/577573.html

From yesterday morning's paper I think they were still searching--seems some members of the cult were shuttling children from room to room to hide them from investigators

On the up note, Billy, I laughed out loud at the ill-named Sisters of Mercy. Exquisite irony.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

I agree with the raid, I think there should be more where these groups are concerned & I'm so glad it didn't go the way of Waco or Ruby Ridge!
As for the religious sect, yes. I was raised Jewish. All religions are cults, really.
Sorry for my recent absence--mundania intruded.

6:37 AM  
Blogger TJ Wilson said...

B - thanks for putting my thoughts on the raid into words. totally overwhelming to think of these people and their mindsets and all they've experienced. difficult to process. grateful for a God who sees.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home