Sunday, September 07, 2008

My Town Monday: Cowboy Fever


Today my community is awash in the glow of our favorite sport: football! While the Cowboys may call Dallas home, Texas Stadium is actually in Irving, Texas. Owner Jerry Jones is currently building the new, bajillion seat sanctuary/stadium in Arlington, Texas. And since the only other NFL team near our area is in Houston (the Texans, yawn), Fort Worth claims the Cowboys as our own.

Our family spent the day yesterday wearing Cowboy colors (silver and blue), proudly waving our Cowboy flag in the front yard. Yes, we are that cheesy. It's hard not to get excited about the game when players like Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, Jason Witten and Marion Barber function as an unstoppable offensive machine. Even more fun when our defense makes the Cleveland Browns look like the seventh-grade B Team.

Felix Jones, a rookie running back from Arkansas, made his NFL debut with a touchdown-making first carry, and several impressive runs. Welcome to Texas, Felix. We like you already.

A few quotes from the Cowboy's star-spangled history, found in Dallas Cowboys: Quips & Quotes by Alan Burton (If you're a football fan, a humor fan, a Cowboy fan, you need a copy of this book.)

Linebacker D.D. Lewis on Texas Stadium: "Texas Stadium has a hole in its roof so God can watch his favorite team play."

Walt Garrison, when asked if legendary coach Tom Landry ever smiled: "I don't know. I only played there nine years."

CBS-TV sportscaster Jim Nantz on coach Jimmy Johnson: "The only time Jimmy Johnson didn't run up the score was twenty-seven years ago when he took the SAT."

ABC Monday Night Football broadcaster (and former Cowboy) Don Meredith, when a fan made an obscene gesture to the camera: "He's just telling us, 'they're number one.'"
Sports fan? Do tell...

Labels: , , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Renae said...

The only football team I root for is the Bulldawgs! Small town high school football is the best! ;-)

But of course, that's all we've got . . .

4:19 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

I love love love college football! I can't wait for the Red River shootout in October when UT plays OU. And I always enjoy watching the Red Raiders run up the score.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Terrie Farley Moran said...

Thanks for a peek at sports fans lives. I am not a major fan of any sport but am feeling a bit sad that both Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium here in NY will be replaced next season.

Terrie

5:32 PM  
Blogger Linda McLaughlin said...

I seem to recall someone saying that football is the official state religion of Texas. ;) I loved Dandy Don Meredith, what a cutie. My hubby and I sort of met him once in Hawaii. At any rate, he held the elevator door open for us. A true Southern gentleman. Hope the Cowboys do well for you this season.

Linda

5:43 PM  
Blogger Barrie said...

The TV's been on in for football in our house today. Not me, though. My dh is from Oklahoma and is huge Cowboys fan!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Joshua said...

I sadly don't excited about football anymore....my home team is St. Louis Rams....yeah....uber suckage :)

6:21 PM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

I'm glad to hear that Felix Jones did well. He's a heckuva running back.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara Martin said...

Our football is a bit different, but I do like watching to see which team wins the Grey Cup. My favourite team is the Saskatchwan Rough Riders, although I do hail from Alberta and should be rooting for the Stampeders.

6:57 PM  
Blogger pattinase (abbott) said...

With a team like the Detroit Lions, it's hard to get much fever going.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Aleta said...

LSU & the Saints! Winning, Losing ~ doesn't matter, we love 'em! (Nice though when they win - like the Saints this Sunday - Woo Hoo!)

5:57 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

I'm with Aleta. Geaux Saints!

I'm not much on the boys. to be truthful I find many of their fans quite obnoxious.

But they did look good yesterday. Dang it.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

How do we make it from January to September every year? (Don't start in with the NBA or MLB. zzz.) This year was nice as the primaries provided some real action, even rough at times. The conventions even stirred some heated emotions and discussions in our circle of family and friends. Football has taken the edge off of the campaign, and I can see colors again. Suddenly, I am not as afraid of John McCain as I was a week ago. (He's still a little scary...)May God Bless these Cowboys of Dallas!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

Being originally from Michigan, if I root for the Lions I am screwed. So that Packers are the next reliable choice, but after Brett Favre did his little thing I sort of feel like my parents just got a divorce.

So, in pro-ball I root for the Pats (Tom Brady was a MI boy). Being in Denver now, I may have to check out the Broncos.

Mostly, though, I love Big Ten college football. When you have U of M, what more do you need?

11:52 AM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

P.S. I may have just recommended you for The Festival of Faith and Writing at Calvin University (next venue 2010 so you have a while); though, based on recommendations by others(Wendell Berry, Ernest Gaines, Sherman Alexie), you may be a bit lower on the list. But, I did my best... ;)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

I'm not big on football, myself, but this was interesting. Loved some of the quotes!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Bookfraud said...

ah, a cowboys fan. i feel sorry for you. ;)

then again, as a die-hard bears fan, i'm really not one to talk. they're more up and down than the stock market. but they killed the colts sunday night, so there's hope.

as far as my um wolverines are concerned, it's gonna be a long season.

great quotes. that's what i like about texas. if you forget you're there, somebody will gladly remind you.

5:47 AM  
Blogger lyzzydee said...

I know nothing about this sport, thanks for the insight!!

5:04 AM  
Blogger Middle Ditch said...

Not having that sort of football here, I can't say I am. Nor am I a soccer fan. Other sports I do love and I avidly watched the olympics.

I'm so sorry that I have not been here for such a long time. I checked out my old blogs and came across you.

Are you well?

9:02 AM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

Hey--are you guys okay down there? Any Ike damage?

5:36 AM  
Blogger -idogcow said...

betterthan our niners!

But we shall see.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home