Monday, December 29, 2008

My Town Monday: Cowboys, Books, and is that bacon?

Merry Belated Christmas, everyone. We celebrated the holiday with much food, family, and frivolity. Except for the spectacular demise of the Cowboys' playoff hopes, it's been a pretty good break.

For My Town Monday followers, today is a balmy 68 degrees in Fort Worth, Texas. I just got back from one of my favorite local haunts: Half Price Books. Extra 20% off everything through tomorrow. Whoopee! Thank goodness I wore my best shopping flip-flops. I came home with three prizes for next semester's coursework. (Speaking of which, I finished my M.A. this fall, and in January I'm entering the doctoral program at the University of North Texas in Denton. Because I'm crazy like a fox. Or like a fighting eagle, which is our school mascot.)

Anyhoo, on my way home from the book store, flip-flops on and sunroof open, I listened to a new compilation CD my son made for me for Christmas. Some favorite tracks:

More than a Feeling by Boston
Your Song by Elton John
She Talks to Angels by the Black Crowes
Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith
Faithfully by Journey
You Can't Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones.

Seriously, how cool is my kid?

Also on the drive home, enjoying the tunes and the balmy weather, I spotted a neighborhood teenager cruising down the sidewalk. He wore short-sleeves, a skull cap, skinny jeans, and was carrying a skateboard. He also had, in one hand, what appeared to be a large jar of Bacon Bits.

The beginnings of a short story, perhaps?

Question: What was one of your favorite presents you received this year?

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger *Tyler* said...

I have a favorite present... that you have FINALLY written a new post! I check every few weeks wondering where my Britta is. Glad you had an enjoyable Christmas. And I am loving the cd. I would so be rocking out, too!

Congrats on the M.A. I just haven't brought myself to go for the doctoral degree. Good for you! I am thinking of getting an art degree now. We'll see!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Tyler, my friend! Thank you for stopping by and checking on me. Loved your Christmas card.

Yes, you would completely love the cd. Full of classic rock, the best songs ever.

Have you posted recently? I'm going to check...

11:30 AM  
Blogger Barrie said...

Britta, how fun that you did a MTM post too!! Congrats on finished your MA. And how wonderful that you're about to begin your PhD!! Enjoy the last few days of 2008!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

It's fun to see you back in the blogosphere! You are the bomb-diggity-bomb for getting your masters! Could you come grade some of my students' papers??

3:20 PM  
Blogger Ashley Weis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

I am taking my lit GRE's in April. Everything else is in. I am going for it; though, U of Denver is extremely competative. Prayer seriously appreciated!

Meanwhile, my publication number has increased to 6 short stories, including my very first print/paid journal in Acappella Zoo.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

I miss half price books.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Thank you Barrie. MTM always gives me a good prompt for blogging. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Mathilda, totally sending the prayers. You will rock the GRE and U of D would be lucky to have you. Keep me posted.

Charles, I'm so sorry. I feel your pain. When we lived in Amarillo there were no HPB stores, either.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Alyssa, you are the first person to call me the bomb-diggity-bomb. Ever! I really like it. :)

7:00 AM  
Blogger TJ Wilson said...

ok, then I ditto Alyssa. Hilarious about the bacon... that's a writer for you, always keeping her eyes open.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Mathilda said...

Fantastic short story writer I just discovered: Amy Hempel. Awesomeness!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

Half Price Books is my great weakness. I spent over $300 there IN ONE OUTING (out of many.) I'm glad we don't have them in Louisiana. My wallet can't take it!
My favorite present this year was my only one; art supplies that Charles covered for me. Of those, I guess the 12x24" stretched canvases are the best, as I've been wanting some unusually long rectangles lately.
Sorry for my long, recent absence. Been busy in offline life. Best to you & yours in 2009!

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home