Monday, May 16, 2011

Summer of Soap & Jennifer Archer's Through Her Eyes

My grades are in, I passed my comprehensive exams for my doctorate (what the what!), and I'm officially All But Dissertation. I'm wrapping up my tenure at American Literary Review, and it's a gorgeous beginning to my summer: 70s and sunny in Fort Worth, Texas. So far today I've read the newspaper, baked a loaf of banana bread, and am reading through the fourth Harry Potter. Tough day at the office.

I have, however, between Dear Abby and the crossword, made a momentus decision. After spending roughly a gazillion dollars on other people's handmade soaps, I've decided to make my own. Old school. With lye. As in, cover your eyes and watch out for the lye. For research, I've watched videos from the Soap Queen on Youtube, read online recipes and lurked in soapmaking forums. My daughter gave me a soap-making book for my birthday, and I've got an overdue book from the library on my desk: Soap Maker's Workshop by Dr. Robert McDaniel. It's a good book, and the enclosed DVD presents an informative workshop by the adorable Dr. Bob.

I've loaded my Amazon cart with additional soapmaking books and supplies, and I'm hoping to get started within the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted...

On another note, my friend Jennifer Archer is coming to town to sign copies of her new YA, Through Her Eyes. She'll be at the Barnes & Noble in Hurst, TX this Sunday at 2:00. I was fortunate enough to be Jenny's critique partner while she was writing this book, and it's a beautiful story. If you can't make the signing, I hope you'll do yourself a favor and buy a copy online or in your local bookstore.

As for me, I'm back to the Goblet of Fire...

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Kern said...

That's not all you did this morning... Don't forget to mention catching the squirrel red-handed in the birdseed. That was important.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

True that. The squirrel, for those of you who don't live in the Coleman household, has been stalking our birdseed for months. Today it tore open a full bag with its little rodent teeth and was having a backyard smorgasbord. He was, however, totally intimidated when I stared him down through the window. (Actually, he shoveled in another handful then waddled away of his own volition.)

9:48 AM  
Blogger Kern said...

For those of you intrigued by homemade soap, let me be clear... This is not about saving money.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

But in the long run...right?

Anyhoo, consider it an investment in my long-term happiness. And I will give you all the "free" soap you can use!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Britta Coleman said...

Follow up: banana bread disaster. The middle is mushy. Is it okay to just put it back in the oven?

Really, I shouldn't be allowed to cook by myself.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

I am seriously considering to buy this book you mentioned, Through Her Eyes, where can I read a review of it. That could help me a little bit more.


moving company

5:58 AM  
Blogger inspirenordic said...

Good luck with the soap-making :) I came across your blog randomly but I like it! Your day sounds as though it was lovely :)

// inspirenordic.blogspot.com

12:15 AM  
Blogger smith said...

nice post. I am waiting for ur next post
Wedding Photographer Melbourne

2:44 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home