Monday, January 02, 2012

First Finished Knit of the Year: Fingerless Mitts

It's only January 2 and I already have a completed project! Must be all those black eyed peas I've been eating. Anyway, I just finished tying in the ends of these fingerless mitts, using a lovely pattern from Calypso Knits that I found on Ravelry. (If you're a knitter or crocheter on Ravelry, feel free to friend me. My name is BrittaMarie.)

I made the mitts to match this hat, which I finished a couple of months ago. I bought the pattern (Golden Gate Bridge Hat) and yarn at Bluebird Yarn & Fiber Crafts in Sausalito, California. The yarn is Shabui Superwash Worsted, in Breeze and Chinese Red. I'll leave it to my distinguished reader to ascertain which is which.


While I would probably never purchase a hat with an imprint of the golden gate bridge, I thought it would be fun to learn fair isle (the weaving process of using more than one color in a knit) and create a funky souvenir for myself. I followed the pattern exactly, except I freestyled my own starburst instead of the pattern's suggested hearts or SF between the bridge posts. I decided on a star because our visit to San Francisco was over the fourth of July.

My son says the star looks like a space invader, but I think it resembles a robot spider. Either way, it's supposed to be sparkly and fun and slightly weird, which pretty much sums up San Francisco for me.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Coloring Pages said...

Well written and very informative article I'll leave it to my distinguished reader to ascertain which is which. Coloring Pages

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home